The Challenges of Relocating Employees With Pets

With an estimated pet population of 51 million, it’s fair to say that the UK is a nation of animal lovers. However, when it comes to relocating employees with pets, your staff will be faced with an incredibly difficult decision; leaving their best friend behind or taking their pets with them.

Not only is it difficult to find rental properties around the world that accept animals. But there are plenty of conditions that stop animals from going abroad. As an international moving company with over 30 years experience; Galleon International Relocation can offer professional advice to assist you with all your pet relocation needs.

One of the main issues lies not with the landlords who might consider renting their property to a tenant with pets; but with the lease agreement. Many landlords are leaseholders and have a freehold that states “animals are not allowed.” We have seen this time and time again in many prime rental property areas such as London; Hong Kong and Singapore.

In fact, over 90% of letting agents in London are unable to offer any flats that accept pets; especially for a one or two bedroom property. Of those letting agents offering pet-friendly accommodation, some may require owners to place a larger deposit to cover the dilapidation cost at the end of the tenancy agreement.

Once you have found a property that allows animals, it’s important to check the regulations for your destination as some countries have a more complex process than others.

For example, emigrating to Australia can be difficult as the Australian Department of Agriculture requires you to follow some stringent conditions. Unlike dog; cat or horse owners, if you own fish; reptiles or small mammals, you will not be able to relocate their pets to Australia.

If your pet is on the approved list for moving overseas, they must meet certain health requirements. Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies at least 180 days before you travel. After four weeks, your pet will also need to have the RNAT test to prove your dog or cat doesn’t have rabies.

Finally, you must have the correct paperwork for your pet. This includes:

  • An export permit for the government of your home country.
  • Import permit from the Australian government.
  • Pre-booking at the Australian quarantine centre.

If you want to find out more about relocating employees with pets; get in touch with Galleon – International Moving Company.

Over three decades, we have assisted in a number of overseas removals and relocation of families with furry friends. Our team know exactly how to make the experience stress-free for both your employees and their pets.

Get in touch with our international relocation team on 01708 868 068 to find out more about our corporate relocation services.